The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Spice up traditional holiday punch with this seasonally inspired champagne cocktail!
If there’s one drink I love at the holidays, it’s champagne! There’s something about the pop of a cork and the crisp, refreshing taste of chilled bubbles that makes the season extra special.
While I love champagne straight from the glass, it’s also delicious in cocktails. The winter months are pear season, so I figured, why not combine these two seasonal favorites in one delicious drink?
Featuring a pear ginger simple syrup and a handful of flavorful mixers, this adult-friendly beverage could not be easier to make, but the appearance and taste will have your guests believing you’re a professional mixologist!
There are a few ways you can serve this punch. I like to serve it in a pitcher with pear ginger simple syrup on the side for guests to customize their cocktail to their linking, but if you prefer to pre-mix the drinks prior to serving, they will be just as delicious.
Make this sparkling creation the signature drink of this year’s holiday gatherings!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 Large Pitcher or Punch Bowl
For the Cocktail
- 1 1/2 cups spiced pear cider (recipe link below)
- 1 oz. pear-ginger simple syrup per drink (optional, recipe below)
- 2 bottles ginger beer
- 1 750 ml. bottle champagne
- 2 Bartlett pears, sliced for garnish
- Crystalized ginger pieces, for garnish
- Ice, for serving (optional)
For the Pear Ginger Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 Bartlett pears, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup raw turbinado sugar
- Add all of the simple syrup ingredients to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the burner and let cool. Strain out the juice and discard of the boiled pears, orange zest and ginger. Store in a jar in the fridge until ready to use.
- Make the spiced pear cider.
- Chill the champagne, cider, ginger beer and syrup before assembling the cocktail.
- In a large punch bowl or pitcher, combine all of the ingredients for the cocktail, except for the simple syrup and garnishes.
- Stir the punch gently. Toss in the 2 sliced pears and crystalized ginger.
- Serve with a ladle, simple syrup and ice on the side for guests to customize their drink to their taste.
Note: For a time-saving shortcut, use store-bought apple cider in place of homemade pear cider.