The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Bread Over Heels, a food scientist and blogger. For more of her recipes and baking tips, visit her website or her Instagram @breadoverheels.
Light and festive, this deceivingly simple Pear Raspberry Pastry Braid makes an excellent holiday breakfast, afternoon snack or dessert.
Store bought puff pastry eliminates the hassle of homemade dough and creates a showy, flaky and indulgent finished product.
The pear raspberry filling has a small amount of sugar to enhance the fruits’ natural sweetness and a hint of ginger for subtle flavor nuance.
Finished with a quick powdered sugar glaze, this pastry Braid is delicious served fresh or refrigerated. Enjoy and happy holidays!
- 1 Pastry Braid
- 1 sheet puff pastry, refrigerated
- 3 oz. raspberries
- ½ large Bosc pear or 1 small Bartlett pear, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. ginger paste
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine raspberries, pear, flour, sugar, lemon juice and ginger paste. Stir gently until fruit has just absorbed wet and dry ingredients, keeping raspberries intact.
- Place puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Roll gently into a 10-inch wide x 14- inch tall rectangle. Spoon filling into center of rectangle from top to bottom. Using a small pizza cutter, cut approximately 2 inch rectangular corners off of the top edges of the puff pastry.
- Working from top to bottom, cut 12 slices from outside towards center of each side. Starting from the top, fold excess pastry over filling, then fold the cut puff pastry slices on top of one another crossing over each other to create a braided pattern. (See assembly images above.)
- Carefully transfer onto sheet pan.
- Combine egg yolk with 1 Tbsp. water. Brush over puff pastry.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and milk.
- Drizzle over braid.
Interested in making this recipe? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.