The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Melissa’s Produce.
Few things beat a fresh slice of citrus fruit, except maybe a scoop of this Pixie Tangerine Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
Rich and smooth in texture with refreshingly bright flavor from the zest and juice of seasonal, California-grown Ojai Pixie Tangerines, get your hands on a few of these orange gems while they’re ripe and mix up this chilly dessert to the celebrate the final weeks of citrus season!
Pixie Tangerine Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 Quart
- 2 1/2 cups Heinen’s heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Heinen’s whole milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 vanilla beans
- 4 Heinen’s cage free egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 4 Pixie Tangerines
- 1/2 cup Pixie Tangerine juice
- In a saucepan, add the cream, milk and half of the sugar.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla beans into the saucepan and drop in the vanilla bean pods.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and the tangerine zest.
- Stirring often, scald the saucepan contents until small bubbles appear around the edge of the pan, then remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until smooth, like a ribbon.
- Pour some of the scalded liquid into the egg mixture and mix well. Add that back to the scalded liquid in the saucepan and cook over low heat until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl and stir in the tangerine juice. Place the mixture in the refrigerator and chill completely.
- Place in an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacture’s directions.