The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
Get ready for a fork full of the fluffiest, most decadent pumpkin cake you will have this fall! One bowl and basic pantry ingredients are all you’ll need!
Feel free to get creative with the vessel you use to bake this cake. I’ve used two circular cake pans and even baked them as cupcakes. Either way they’re delicious – simply adjust the baking time accordingly! I find that this this cake tastes best with homemade cream cheese frosting and raw sugar sprinkled on top for a little crunch!
- Total time:
- 12 Bars
For the Pumpkin Cake Bars
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish by rubbing butter across the entire bottom and sprinkling with flour to keep the cake from sticking.
- Using a handheld mixer, combine the sugar and eggs until light and in a large bowl.
- Add the vegetable oil, pumpkin puree and vanilla and mix together for one minute.
- Add the flour, baking powder and soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking dish and bake at 350˚F for 25-35 minutes until cooked through. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the cake. It should come out with only few crumbs attached.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Using a handheld mixer, combine the butter, cream cheese and vanilla.
- Add the powdered sugar, and mix until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Frost the cooled pumpkin cake and top with raw sugar for sprinkles.