The recipes and photography for this post were provided by Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Quick Ham and Bean Soup
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-14.3 oz. cans of cannellini beans, divided
- 3-4 cups cooked leftover ham
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oils in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and saute for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cumin, thyme and paprika and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the chicken stock and bay lead and bring it to a simmer. Continue to cook, uncovered for 10-15 minutes, or until carrots are tender. While the soup simmer, puree 1 can of the beans ( with the liquid from the can) in a blender or food processor until smooth; set aside.
- When carrots are tender, stir in the canned and pureed beans, ham and corn. Season to taste with salt and pepper and finish with parsley.