The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Stemilt.
Have you ever tried a Rave Apple? Grown in Washington state, this seasonal fruit is known for it’s delicious crunch and “zippy” flavor.
Although not ideal for baking, this apple is best enjoyed out-of-hand or on top of these Gruyère Bruschetta appetizers.
Perfect for entertaining, caramelized onions compliment buttery Gruyère, making a tasty bed for these ripe red apples.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 Tbsp. salted butter
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 8 oz. Gruyère cheese, sliced
- 1 Rave® apple, sliced
- Ground cayenne pepper
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the sliced onion, salt and thyme sprigs. Cook, stirring frequently until the onions are dark golden brown, being careful not to burn them. This should take about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat. Discard the thyme stem. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Place the sliced baguette pieces on a wire rack. Toast the bread in the oven on the rack for about 10 minutes, checking often. Remove when done.
- Turn the oven on to the broil setting.
- Place a slice of Gruyère on each baguette slice. Return the baking rack to the oven. Broil until the cheese begins to bubble and melt.
- Top each slice with a bit of the caramelized onion and a slice of apple. Drizzle with a bit of honey and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper, if desired.