Risotto with Peas and Goat Cheese
- 1 quart organic (or homemade) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup butter
- ½ onion , finely chopped
- 3 cups risotto rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup frozen peas (add more if desired)
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbly goat cheese, divided.
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Heat the stock in a saucepan.
- In a separate pan, heat the butter, add the onion, and fry for about 8 minutes until the onion is soft but not colored.
- Add the rice and turn up the heat so it almost fries.
- After a minute the rice will look slightly translucent. Add the wine and keep stirring.
- Now add a ladle of hot stock and a pinch of salt. Turn down the heat to a fairly high simmer. Keep adding ladleful of stock, stirring constantly and allowing each ladleful to be absorbed completely before adding the next.
- Add the peas into the stock when there are a couple of ladlefuls left, and add them with the stock.
- Stir until the rice is soft but still has a slight bite, then season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and stir in half of the goat cheese and the Parmesan.
- Sprinkle the remaining goat cheese over the top and eat as soon as possible while it retains its lovely moist texture.