The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Summer rolls are a great no-cook lunch or dinner option during the warmer months when no one wants to turn on the stove.
These summer rolls are packed with fresh, seasonal produce and incorporate one of my favorite store-bought convenience items – rotisserie chicken!
Heinen’s sells fresh, hot whole rotisserie chicken everyday. You can also find chilled rotisserie chicken in their Prepared Foods Department.
When serving summer rolls, don’t forget a flavorful dipping sauce! I’m including the recipe for a creamy and delicious avocado ranch sauce that my kids love (you can use the leftovers as a salad dressing), but you can swap in a more traditional peanut sauce or a premade sauce if you’re short on time. Here are a few ready-made options you can find at Heinen’s:
- Bolthouse Farms Cilantro Avocado Ranch
- Two Brothers Sweet Chili Sauce
- Two Brothers Honey Lime Sriracha Sauce
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Summer Rolls
- 12 large rice paper wrappers
- Red bell pepper, sliced
- Yellow bell pepper, sliced
- Matchstick carrots
- Cucumber, sliced
- Lettuce leaves
- Fresh herbs, like basil and/or cilantro (optional)
- Heinen’s rotisserie chicken, cooled and shredded
For the Avocado Ranch Dipping Sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¼ cup water
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove
- ½ tsp. Heinen's dried dill, optional
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Soak the rice paper wrappers, one at a time, in warm water for about 30 seconds, or until completely pliable. Transfer one rice paper wrapper to a work surface.
- Layer the vegetables and chicken in the center of the wrapper (about ⅔ cup total). Fold the sides of the wrapper into the center, then fold up the bottom over the fillings and gently but firmly roll up to the top to seal while keeping the roll tightly packed. Repeat with the remaining wrappers.
- To prepare the sauce, combine all of the sauce ingredients in a high-powered blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. For a thinner consistency, add more water. Feel free to swap this homemade sauce for a premade sauce from Heinen’s, if desired.
Summer rolls can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and the sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.