The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Summer rolls are a great no-cook lunch or dinner option during the warmer months when no one wants to turn on the stove.
These summer rolls are packed full of fresh, seasonal produce and incorporate one of my favorite store-bought convenience items – rotisserie chicken!
Heinen’s sells fresh, hot whole rotisserie chicken everyday. You can also find chilled rotisserie chicken in their Prepared Foods Department.
When serving summer rolls, don’t forget a flavorful dipping sauce! I’m including the recipe for a creamy and delicious avocado ranch sauce that my kids love (you can use the leftovers as a salad dressing), but you can swap in a more traditional peanut sauce, or your favorite Asian dipping sauce, or serve them with a variety of sauces.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- For the Summer Rolls
12 large rice paper wrappers
- Sliced red bell pepper
- Sliced yellow bell pepper
- Matchstick carrots
- Sliced cucumber
- Lettuce leaves
- Fresh herbs, like basil and/or cilantro (optional)
- Heinen’s rotisserie chicken, cooled and shredded
For the Avocado Ranch Dipping Sauce
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¼ cup water
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsps. mayonnaise
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove
- ½ tsp. dried dill, optional
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Soak the rice paper wrappers, one at a time, in warm water for about 30 seconds, or until completely pliable. Transfer one rice paper wrappers to a work surface.
- Layer vegetables and chicken in the center of the wrapper (about ⅔ cup total). Fold the sides of the wrapper into the center, then fold up the bottom over the fillings and gently but firmly roll up to the top to seal while keeping the roll tightly packed. Repeat with the remaining wrappers.
- To prepare the sauce, combine all of the sauce ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. For a thinner consistency, add more water.
Summer rolls can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and the sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.