- Total time:
- 1 pound of skin on fresh halibut
- 1 bunch of peeled and sliced in half baby carrots
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1/4 cup of sliced green onions
- 2 rinsed julienne leeks
- 6 julienne shitake mushrooms
- 1 de-gilled and sliced portobello mushroom
- 4 sliced domestic mushrooms
- 3 finely minced cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of sherry wine
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon of vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon of cold small diced unsalted butter
On a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, toss together the carrots, ginger, sesame oil, salt and pepper and spread out and roast on 425° for 12 to 15 minutes. Once cooked remove from the heat.
Season the halibut on both sides with salt and pepper and place skin side down in a very hot saute pan on high heat with 1 tablespoon of vegetable or canola oil. Distribute the diced butter throughout the pan next to the fish. Once the fish begins to turn very brown (3 to 4 minutes) turn over, turn down the heat to medium-high, and finish cooking until the fish is cooked through (3 to 4 minutes).
In a separate large saute pan on high heat with 1 tablespoon of vegetable or canola oil add in the leeks and mushrooms. Once brown, add in the garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Next, deglaze with the sherry wine and cook until it is absorbed. Finish with salt and pepper.
Before serving, squeeze the lemon onto the finish and plate next to the carrots and sauteed leeks and mushrooms.