The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
Take some time to enjoy this savory tart this holiday season.
Featuring carrots with Italian herbs and butter caramelized and tucked into a Pillsbury pocket of flakey dough filled with whipped feta, it is simply heavenly.
Let’s take a second to talk about the whipped feta cheese… I’m going to be as bold as to say that it may be the best thing of all “thyme” thanks to Mackenzie Creamery herb goat cheese.
The Pillsbury biscuit crust makes for a deliciously savory dish, perfect for lunch or dinner. I like to serve this with a big harvest salad for the perfect balanced meal.
For the Tart
- 1 roll of Pillsbury flakey biscuits
- 6-8 multi colored carrots of different lengths
- 4 Tbsp. of unsalted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ packet of Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
For the Whipped Feta
- 8 oz. Bulgarian feta cheese
- 4 oz. Mackenzie Creamery herb goat cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. fresh basil
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- Make the whipped feta. Bring the goat cheese and feta to room temperature and add to a food processor.
- Add the olive oil and spices and blend until smooth. You can also serve the whipped feta as a side all by itself with Heinen’s clover honey on top and crackers to dip.
- Preheat the oven to 420˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the carrots in half long ways and place in a shallow oven-safe baking dish.
- Add butter to the top of the carrots and sprinkle the Italian seasoning. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven for 25 minutes until fork tender.
- While the carrots are roasting, separate the biscuits from the tube and divide each into two. This will yield 12-13 thinner biscuit slices. Lay them on the parchment-lined baking sheet so that they overlap slightly forming a rectangle or oval shape.
- Spread the whipped feta over the center of the biscuits leaving room around the edges.
- Once the carrots are done roasting, allow them to cool before layering long ways across the whipped feta in the center of the tart. I like to arrange them tail to head in a alternating pattern. You can add more or less depending on your preference.
- Fold over the edges of the biscuits slightly covering some of the ends of the carrots. Brush with beaten egg to create a slightly brown and flakey crust.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350˚F and bake for 15 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Slice in squares or diagonal in pizza-like slices.