The following recipe was created in collaboration with Lauren Schulte. To see more of her bites and meals, visit her Instagram @TheBiteSizePantry.
The perfect pancake doesn’t have the be doused in sweet maple syrup and served for breakfast!
In the spirit of holiday entertaining, I added a dash of dill, a dollop of sweet and tangy Greek yogurt and a swirl of smoked salmon and created a festive savory appetizer that will make any guest think twice about their pancake preference!
Easy to make and assemble and beautiful to serve amidst an assortment of other holiday goodies, try your hand at making these colorful cakes next time you’re in charge of a seasonal appetizer.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 12 Mini Pancakes
For the Pancakes
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill gluten free flour
- 2 Tbsp. Swerve sugar substitute
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 Heinen’s jumbo cage-free brown eggs
- 2 tsp. dried dill
- Heinen’s ghee cooking spray
For the Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup FAGE Greek yogurt
- 1.5 Tbsp. scallions, snipped into small pieces with scissors
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s honey
- Juice ¼ lemon
For the Toppings
- Verlasso smoked salmon
- Dollop of Greek yogurt (above)
- In a bowl, whisk together all of the dry pancake ingredients. Add the buttermilk, oil and eggs. Mix until smooth. Add the dried dill and mix well.
- Spray a large skillet with Heinen’s ghee cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Pour ¼ of the pancake batter into the skillet and spread it out until it reaches the sides of the pan. Cook each side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining pancake batter.
- Using a 1.5-inch (or smaller) round cookie cutter. Cut small circles out of the large pancakes. Set aside.
- Mix together the Greek yogurt, honey, scallions and lemon juice.
- Cut the smoked salmon into long strips. Roll the strips like you would crescent rolls, making sure each roll is small enough to fit on the pancakes.
- Spoon a small amount of the Greek yogurt onto each pancake. I prefer to place the dollop closer to the edge.
- Lean one roll of smoked salmon on the dollop of Greek yogurt.
- For a finishing touch, nestle a few scallion pieces in between the smoked salmon and yogurt.
- Sprinkle the microgreens on a serving platter, then place the mini pancakes on top. Drop a few cherry tomatoes around edges of the platter for added visual appeal.