The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Nothing says romance like delicious pan-seared scallops!
Scallops are often perceived as being “easy to mess up,” but that could not be further from the truth. With salt, pepper and a touch of olive oil, you can prepare perfectly cooked scallops on your own stovetop without any hassle.
Paired with penne, asparagus, garlic, peas and a creamy homemade Alfredo sauce, this seafood pasta is fitting for an elegant date night at home.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. Heinen's artisan organic penne pasta
- 5 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- 8 oz. fresh sea scallops
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 cups Heinen's heavy cream
- 1 cup Heinen's grated 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano
- ½ cup peas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta in a pot of boiling salted water according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse under cool water until chilled.
- Transfer the pasta to a bowl and mix in 2 Tbsp. of olive oil. Set aside.
- Season the scallops on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add 3 Tbsp. of olive oil to a large saucepot over medium-high heat.
- When the oil begins to lightly smoke, add the scallops. Cook them for 1-2 minutes per side, or until well browned.
- Remove the scallops and add the asparagus and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the heavy cream and cheese. Bring to a boil and cook for 4-6 minutes, or until the mixture is thick.
- Add the peas, then stir in the cooked pasta along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with the scallops.
- Finish with parmesan cheese and chopped parsley, if desired.