Recipe, video and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Shaved Brussels sprouts are the perfect light and crunchy base for this seasonal salad.
Topped with crisp apples, blue cheese, Parmesan, fennel, onion and a homemade vinaigrette, it’s loaded with flavor and good-for-you ingredients!
For the Vinaigrette
- 1 shallot, peeled and small diced
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp. of honey
- 2/3 cup of oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Salad
- 2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, thinly shaved
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ cup almonds, sliced
- ¼ red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Crumbled blue cheese, for garnish
- Add the shallot, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper to a medium-size bowl and slowly whisk in the oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Set aside.
- Add the shaved Brussels sprouts to a large serving bowl and layer on fennel, apples, almonds, red onions and cheeses.
- Leave the salad as is or mix before serving alongside the vinaigrette.