The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
Believe it or not, you can build a beautiful salad without any lettuce!
Have you ever made a salad or ordered a salad from a restaurant and felt like the ratio of greens to toppings was skewed? I find that this happens often, and while I love greens and all that they do for our bodies, the toppings really are the best part for the palate!
This simple spin on a classic Greek salad solves this issue of proportions by swapping classic greens for shaved cucumbers as the base! Fresh produce is always available at peak ripeness in Heinen’s Produce Department, but with the spring and summer seasons kicking off, their local selection is growing by the day, so this salad is a great way to take advantage of their fresh-picked assortment.
In addition to fresh produce, this salad also features a handful of Heinen’s brand ingredients including tahini, olives, capers, chickpeas, vinegar, spices, honey, olive oil and feta cheese. Using a store-bought brand as opposed to a name brand can be a gamble, but with Heinen’s I never have to worry because I know that their experts test, approve and even collaborate on the recipes for every product that wears their label. Even better, the price for the premium quality is simply unbeatable.
One of my favorite Heinen’s products are their feta-stuffed olives. Available jarred and in grab-and-go plastic containers, they taste just like what I would find at a Mediterranean restaurant and are authentically savory, briny and creamy, making them an essential addition to this Greek-inspired salad.
Served cold with tons of fresh-chopped herbs, meal prep this salad for a week’s worth of flavorful lunches, or keep it queue for summer BBQs.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 large English cucumbers, peeled and ends removed
- 1 cup Heinen's black olives, chopped
- 1 cup Heinen's feta stuffed green olives, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped and ends removed
- 1 package Heinen's creamy feta
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's capers, chopped
- 1 can Heinen's garbanzo beans
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. za’atar
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's dried oregano
- 1 tsp. Heinen's dried parsley
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. Heinen's honey
- 1/3 cup Heinen's olive oil
- Fresh thyme, chopped for serving
- Shave the peeled cucumbers into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the tahini, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, za’atar, oregano, parsley, pepper, red pepper flakes and honey. Slowly add the olive oil and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Remove any excess water from the bowl of shaved cucumbers, then add the olives, tomatoes, garbanzo beans and capers.
- Pour the dressing over top. Gently mix with kitchen tongs until everything is coated in the dressing.
- Sprinkle on your desired amount of feta and extra red pepper flakes.
- Finish with thyme and serve.