The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
One of my favorite summer meals has to be a shrimp boil!
Succulent shrimp, crunchy summer corn, soft baby potatoes and juicy Andouille sausage is a meal that’s hard for anyone to resist. Sometimes, I want all those flavors in my belly, but I don’t want to cook enough food to feed a small army. That’s where this recipe comes in handy. Literally, all the flavors of a traditional seafood boil can be held in your hands. Anything is possible when skewers are involved!
Skewers are a fun way to recreate any meal. Load them up with all your favorites and toss them on the grill for a quick, “finger-licking good” meal. When you start with high quality ingredients, all you need is a bit of heat to bring out their natural deliciousness. I jazzed up these skewers with a zesty lemon Cajun butter that is bursting with flavor from Two Brothers blackened seasoning. It is absolutely next level and goes great with seafood and chicken.
This recipe features Melissa’s baby potatoes, too. These are great for so many recipes and can be roasted for a quick delicious side. Shrimp boils typically use Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes, but I flipped the script and decided to use Melissa’s baby purple potatoes. They are a beautiful deep purple color and taste better when grilled compared to the yellow and red verities. Heinen’s carries all three varieties of Melissa’s baby potatoes, but give these a try to add a little color to your BBQ.
Let’s toss some shrimp on the barbie!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 10 skewers, 2 per person
- For the Skewers
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb. Andouille sausage
- 2 ears corn
- 1 bag Melissa’s baby purple potatoes
- 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. Two Brothers blackened seasoning
- Dirty rice for serving, optional
For the Cajun Butter
- 1 stick Heinen's salted butter
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp. Two Brothers blackened seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. chili flakes
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Prepare the grill for direct grilling!
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat and add the remaining ingredients for the Cajun butter, except for the lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, add the lemon juice, stir for 30 seconds then remove from the heat. Spilt the butter into two equal portions and set aside.
- Slice the baby potatoes in half and boil them in salted water until fork-tender. Drain and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Slice the corn into 1/2-inch rings, then slice those in half, to create a half moon shape. Slice the sausage into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Assemble the skewers with all of the prepared ingredients in any pattern you like. The only must is that the sausage must be placed in the shrimp when skewering This makes for awesome presentation and let’s their flavors merge. Simply place the shrimp in a C shape and place the sausage inside. Season with Two Brothers blackened seasoning and a little olive oil. The oil prevents the skewers from sticking to the grill grates.
- Place the skewers on the grill and leave them for 3 minutes. Take one portion of the butter and baste the skewers every minute while cooking. Flip and grill for another 2-3 minutes, then remove from the grill.
- Serve over dirty rice and top with more Cajun butter and parsley. Enjoy!
Note: If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water prior to using.