The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Your family will love these flavorful Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches, and you’ll love how simple they are to prepare!
After slow cooking in a flavorful parmesan marinara sauce, chicken breasts becomes super tender and easily shred with two forks. Toss the shredded chicken back in the sauce, then serve on toasted Heinen’s brioche buns topped with mozzarella or provolone cheese. It’s all the comforts of classic chicken parmesan without the work!
This recipe is perfect for serving a larger group – you can make up to 8 sandwiches or 16 sliders with the shredded chicken. When preparing this for my family of 4, we’ll enjoy it a second night as leftovers or I’ll pack the shredded chicken into zip-top freezer bags and freeze for 3-4 months.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 24 oz. jar Heinen’s organic marinara pasta sauce
- ½ cup Heinen’s 24-month aged Parmigiano Reggiano
- Gerber’s CARE Certified boneless skinless chicken breast family pack (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s salted butter, softened
- 8 Heinen’s brioche hamburger buns, toasted
- 8 slices Heinen’s mozzarella or provolone cheese
- Combine the pasta sauce and parmesan cheese in a slow cooker.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with the dried herbs and garlic powder, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Nestle the chicken breasts into the pasta sauce and submerge completely.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 -4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- After the cook time is complete, remove the chicken breasts and shred using two forks. Return the shredded chicken to slow cooker and toss well to combine with the sauce.
- Split the brioche buns and arrange them cut-side-up on a baking sheet. Spread a thin layer of the softened butter onto each half, then toast in a 350°F oven for 3-5 minutes, or until light golden brown (watch them carefully to avoid burning).
- Remove the buns from oven and top the bottom halves with shredded chicken and a slice of cheese. Return the buns to the oven for 2-4 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Assemble the sandwiches and serve.