- Total time:
Take the stress out of cooking for the holidays with a make-ahead slow cooker meal. These lamb shanks are a favorite of Chef Billy Parisi’s and will surely become your favorite too!
4 lamb shanks
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 peeled and large diced yellow onion
3 large diced ribs of celery
2 peeled and large diced carrots
1 peeled and large diced parsnip
1 peeled and large diced turnip
4 garlic cloves
1 cup of red wine
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
28 ounce can of plum tomatoes
32 ounces of beef stock
salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
4-6 sprigs each of fresh parsley, thyme and rosemary
1. Season the lamb on all sides with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Once it begins to smoke add in the seasoned lamb, turned the heat down to medium and brown them on all sides.
3. Once browned transfer the lamb shanks to a slow cooker.
4. Next, add the onions, celery, carrots, parsnips, turnips and garlic cloves to the saute pan where the lamb was cooked and saute over medium-high heat for 4 to 6 minutes.
5. Deglaze with red wine and cook until the liquid is reduced by one half.
6.Stir in the tomato paste until combined and pour it over the lamb shanks in the slow cooker.
7. Add the tomatoes, beef stock, salt and pepper and fresh herbs and cook over high heat for 4 hours.
8. At this point you can chill it and heat it up on high heat for 3 hours the day you would like to serve it or serve right away.
9. Note: Heat up before 3 days cooling.