The following recipe and photography were provided by Food Scientist Kathleen Ann of Bread Over Heels.
Just when I thought s’mores couldn’t possibly get any better, I came up with a way to turn the classic summertime dessert into a delectable pie.
This show-stopping treat comes together with only 5 ingredients, minimal cooking time and a couple hours of cooling. A premade graham cracker crust serves as the base for a rich, fudgy milk chocolate ganache filling.
Once the ganache sets, the pie is topped with halved marshmallows and is then very briefly broiled to achieve the caramelization, color and aroma associated with the fireside treat. A sprinkling of additional milk chocolate chips on top straight out of the broiler takes the chocolate profile to the max.
This pie tastes delicious either cold from the refrigerator or at room temperature, with the chewy ganache texture masterfully complementing the springy marshmallow layer. Enjoy!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 8-12 Slices
- 1 10-inch premade graham cracker pie crust
- 15 oz. Heinen's milk chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- 6 Tbsp. Heinen's butter
- 6 Tbsp. Heinen's milk
- 14 large marshmallows
- Add 15 oz. of milk chocolate chips to a large bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the ganache filling. Add the butter and milk to a small pan. Heat over medium heat just until gently simmering. Pour the warm mixture over the milk chocolate chips and let sit for 2 minutes. Whisk until the chocolate chips are fully melted and the mixture is very smooth. If some chocolate chips still need to be melted, carefully microwave in ten second increments, stirring every ten seconds. Add the chocolate mixture to the premade pie crust and refrigerate for 1 hour, or until set.
- Cut the marshmallows in half. Press onto the ganache filling in a circular pattern.
- Preheat the broiler to 500°F. Place the pie under the broiler. Broil for only 1-1 1/2 minutes, rotating as necessary for even browning, and keeping your eyes on it the entire time to ensure it does not over cook, which can happen easily with marshmallows. Top with additional milk chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until the ganache has set again. Serve cold or at room temperature.