This recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Abby Thome of The Thome Home.
Fall is just days away which means that apple picking season is on the horizon! This recipe is a fun twist that combines two of my favorite sweet treats: apple pie and snickerdoodle cookies.
For this dessert, a snickerdoodle cookie crust is piled high with juicy apples, covered with a buttery crumble crust, baked to golden perfection and sliced when cooled.
Absolutely amazing on their own, these cookie bars are even better paired with Heinen’s vanilla ice cream!
For the Snickerdoodle Cookie Base
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
For the Apple Pie Filling
- 5 1/2 cups diced apples (I used 4 small Gala apples + 4 small Granny Smith)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
For the Crumble Topping
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pre heat oven 375˚F. Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper so the bars are easy to remove after cooling.
- Start by making the snickerdoodle cookie dough base. In a large bowl, mix together the butter, eggs, vanilla and sugar with a handheld mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the salt, flour, cream of tartar and baking soda. Mix together until flour is fully incorporated.
- Press cookie dough into the bottom of the 9×13 parchment-lined pan. Sprinkle a little sugar on your hands to help push the dough down into a flat even layer.
- Make the apple pie filling next. Start by peeling and dicing your choice of apples (preferably one sweet and one tart) into ¼-inch chunks.
- Place diced apples into a bowl and toss with lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Pour the apple pie filling in an even layer on top of the cookie dough base.
- Finally, make the crumble topping. In a small bowl, pour in the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and cold, cubed butter.
- Using your hands, pinch the ingredients together until a crumbly, sand-like mixture forms.
- Pour the crumble topping over the apple pie filling and press down to adhere.
- Bake at 375˚F for 40-45 minutes until the crust turns slightly golden.
- Allow to cool completely and slice into neat squares or dig in while warm and serve with ice cream.