The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
What’s packed with vegetables, protein, fiber and flavor? This Tex Mex-inspired skillet!
Requiring just one pan and 30 minutes, it’s a kid-approved and weeknight friendly meal. This recipe calls for two bags of Heinen’s frozen riced cauliflower, which you can find near the other frozen vegetables. Swapping in this handy weeknight short-cut ingredient for regular rice is less about reducing the carbs and more about increasing the vegetables!
I’m always looking for ways to bulk up our dinners with more plants, and this is such a delicious way to do it. I hope you’ll try it!
Interested in making these recipes? Order the ingredients online for Curbside Grocery Pickup or Delivery.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. Heinen’s CARE Certified lean ground beef (90-93% lean)
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 10 oz. packages Heinen’s frozen organic riced cauliflower
- 10 oz. can Heinen’s organic petite diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 14.5 oz. can Heinen’s organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup Heinen’s shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Brown the ground beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; use a wooden spoon to break the meat into small pieces.
- Add the onion and bell peppers and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and spices and cook for 30 seconds more. Season beef and vegetables to taste with salt and pepper.
- Fold in the frozen cauliflower rice and continue to cook, stirring often, until heated through.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes and black beans and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Stir in the cilantro, followed by half a cup of shredded cheese. Sprinkle the remaining half a cup of cheese over the top. Cover the pan and reduce heat to medium-low to melt the cheese. Serve.