The following recipe was adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
When thinking about healthy meals, salads often come to mind. Sadly, salads get a bad rap for being bland and boring, but with the right ingredients, I firmly believe you can make a big bowl of leafy greens one of your favorite meals of the week!
Take this Southwestern Chopped Chicken Salad as an example. Made on a base of romaine lettuce, it gets mouthwatering flavor and texture from delicious toppings like protein-packed organic chicken, organic corn, beans, tomatoes, avocado, onion, cheese, cilantro, and, of course, spicy tortilla chips for a little kick and crunch!
Drizzled with a creamy homemade dressing featuring gut friendly tang from apple cider vinegar, each bite of this colorful salad is more exciting the last.
What’s even better is that this salad can be prepped a day in advance, making it easy to grab for lunch on a busy morning, and it contains two superfoods per serving!
One taste of this Southwestern creation and you’ll never see salads as boring again!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Salad
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 6 cups Organic Smart Chicken Breast, cooked and cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups organic corn
- 1 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed under cold water
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Way Better spicy sriracha tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain full fat Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. raw honey
- 2 tsp. Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cook the chicken using your preferred method. Once cooked, cut it into cubes.
- Chop all of the vegetables and rinse the black beans.
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl. If you’re not serving this salad right away, add the tortilla chips right before serving to maintain their crunch.
- Whisk together all of the the dressing ingredients, except for the salt. Taste, then add salt to your preference.
- Spoon the dressing over the salad, then give everything a big toss to combine. Serve cold.