The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Yoko Segawa of Yoko’s Kitchen.
In my mind, the best gifts are the ones you can eat! As a foodie, I may be biased, but I can’t imagine anyone who wouldn’t love receiving a jar or baggie full of Puppy Chow this holiday season!
Puppy Chow commonly features Chex cereal coated in melted peanut butter and chocolate and a generous dusting of powdered sugar! The combination of sweet flavors and crunchy texture is simply indulgent.
For those who are not Puppy Chow purists, take a walk on the wild side and use chai tea, dried orange peels, white chocolate and fresh ground cashew butter to make a healthy holiday-inspired spin.
Easily enjoyed straight out of the bowl or packaged to gift to friends, neighbors, teachers and mailmen/women, this perfectly spiced treat will make the holiday season all the more memorable (and delicious!)
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1½ cups Heinen’s powdered sugar
- 3 Tazo Tea organic chai black tea bags, removed from the bag
- 1 Tbsp. Spice Islands dried and granulated orange peel
- 2 tsp. Heinen’s ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Heinen’s ground cardamom
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup Heinen’s fresh ground cashew butter
- 6 Tbsp. Miyoko’s salted vegan butter
- 6 cups Rice Chex cereal
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, chai tea, orange peel, cinnamon and cardamom. Set aside.
- In a heat-proof bowl, add the white chocolate chips, cashew butter and butter. Add a few inches of water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Carefully place the bowl of chocolate chips over it to create a double boiler. Use a spatula to stir until everything is melted and the mixture is well combined.
- Add the Chex cereal to a large bowl. Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal. Use a spatula to gently toss until all of the cereal is coated with the chocolate.
- Add the powdered sugar mixture over the chocolate-coated cereal and gently toss with a spatula to coat. Add more powdered sugar if necessary.
- Transfer the coated Chex cereal to a parchment-lined sheet pan. Arrange the cereal in an even layer. Allow to cool and set.
- Serve as is, or package in baggies and lidded jars to gift.