The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
Not to wish time away, but with spring finally here, it means that summer is just around the corner! Before grilling season officially arrives, its important to brush up on your outdoor cooking skills, so bust that grill out of the garage and get ready to make some Springtime Burgers!
When making burgers at home, it’s important to remember that no amount of toppings can make up for the use of low quality beef. At Heinen’s, you never have to worry because sourcing quality meat from ranchers and farmers who believe in Heinen’s strict quality standards is at the core of their business.
I cannot recommend Heinen’s organic grass-fed-and-finished ground beef enough. It is truly a step above the vast majority of ground beef I’ve bought at other grocery stores. The color, texture and flavor make for a phenomenal burger patty. Even better, Heinen’s organic beef is raised right here in the USA on a beautiful rolling farm in Nebraska. Heinen’s meat experts had the opportunity to visit this farm and were blown away by the quality and freshness of the product.
Now on to the toppings! Since spring has sprung, these burgers are begging to be topped with fresh seasonal vegetables like Vigeo Gardens microgreens, NatureFresh greenhouse-grown cucumbers and pickled radishes and whipped feta for a little “funk.” The pickled radishes are a personal favorite of mine, and I usually always have a jar on-hand. I’ll be honest, they don’t smell the best, but boy do they enhance the flavor of other foods.
Lets get cookin’!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Burger
- 1 lb. Heinen's organic ground beef
- 1/2 Tbsp. Two Brothers all-purpose seasoning
- Heinen's brioche buns
- NatureFresh cucumbers, for topping
- Vigeo Gardens microgreens, for topping
- Red onion, for topping
- Pickled radishes, for topping (recipe below)
- Whipped feta, for topping (recipe below)
For the Pickled Radishes
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Heinen's apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
For the Whipped Feta
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 oz. feta cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Prepare the pickled radishes. Bring the vinegar, sugar, salt and water to a boil. While the water boils, slice the radishes and add them to an airtight jar or container. Once boiling, pour the water mixture over top of the radishes. Seal the container and store in the fridge.
- Prepare the whipped feta. Add the yogurt and feta to a food processor. Blend for 15 seconds, then add the salt, pepper, lemon zest and parsley. Blend and slowly add the oil until your desire texture is achieved. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Season the organic ground beef with the all purpose seasoning. Form the meat into 1/4 lb. patties using a burger press or your hands.
- Grill the burgers until desired doneness is achieved. About 4 minutes per side results in just a little pink.
- Lightly grill or toast the buns and spread a little whipped feta on the bottom bun. Add the cucumber slices, microgreens and red onion, followed by the burger patty and pickled radishes. Spread more whipped feta on the top bun, close the burger and serve with Heinen’s frozen steak fries!
Note: The pickled radishes, whipped feta and burger patties can all be prepared in advance. Simply refrigerate until you’re ready to grill and assemble the burgers.