The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
Spring is here! If you ask me, that’s the perfect excuse for an impromptu pizza party featuring fresh spring greens for toppings! Which greens are in-season, you ask? Fresh-picked asparagus, kale and Brussels sprouts are all ripe in Heinen’s Produce Department, and I couldn’t resist grabbing a bag of Heinen’s frozen peas, too! I’ll never turn down my greens if they are in pizza form.
For this recipe, the pizza baking vessel is a cast iron skillet. They help create a perfectly crispy outside and fluffy inside that just doesn’t happen when cooking on a pizza stone or baking sheet. Don’t even get me started about the crispy cheese that melts between the crust and skillet, it’s a showstopper!
I also ditched traditional pizza sauce in favor of a few other sauces that compliment the fresh veggies beautifully. The recipe below features two different sauce substitutes – a classic white sauce with an herb-infused oil base and Heinen’s pesto.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Pizzas (4-8 people)
- 2 16 oz. bags premade pizza dough
- 2 Tbsp. Beano’s classic white sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Heinen's pesto
- 1 1/2 cups Heinen's mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Brussels sprouts
- 1/3 cup Heinen's frozen peas
- 5 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh kale, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. Heinen's four color peppercorn, ground
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- One-to-two hours prior to cooking, remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature.
- This will help create a crispy curst with a fluffy interior.
- Place the first package of dough into a 12-inch cast iron skillet and spread it to the edges. Repeat in a separate skillet with the second package of dough.
- Top one with the white pizza sauce and the other with the pesto. Cover both pizzas with the cheese, toppings and the freshly cracked peppercorns.
- Bake on the lower rack of the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when the cheese is bubbly and cooked to your liking. Slice and enjoy!