Stuffing recipe adapted from: www.healthycrush.com ; Gravy recipe adapted from: www.downshiftology.com
No Thanksgiving table is complete without stuffing and gravy. This year, you can feel good about indulging in this classic comfort food because it calls for sprouted whole grain bread. Your guests will never taste the difference.
Sprouted Stuffing with Gravy
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1/2 loaf of Ezekiel, Angelic Bakehouse, or Alvarado Street Bakery sprouted bread
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 Tbsp. Heinen’s extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Cups of Heinen’s vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- Sea salt + black pepper to taste
- 2 Cups Heinen’s turkey stock
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder, or more if you'd like it thicker
- 2 Tbsp. grass-fed butter or ghee, melted
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
For the Stuffing
- Toast bread so it’s dry and crispy. Chop into cubes.
- Add onions and celery to a pan with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Cook until translucent and soft.
- Add stock and herbs to the pan with the celery and onion. Let the broth heat up.
- Add toasted bread to the pan with the broth, herbs and vegetables.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Stir the mixture until the bread cubes soak up all of the moisture and cook until the stuffing has reached your desired consistency. Add more broth if stuffing is too dry.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the Gravy
- Add broth to a pot and bring to a boil.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the melted butter and arrowroot powder to create a slurry.
- Once the broth is boiling, turn off the heat, and gradually whisk the slurry into the broth until it begins to thicken. If you like thicker gravy, you can add another tablespoon of arrowroot powder mixed with a tablespoon of water.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then pour into a gravy boat. Gravy will continue to thicken as it cools.
Is this the stuffing I tasted and bought from the deli case? Very good!
Hi Susan, this is not the stuffing from the deli case but we are glad you enjoyed it!