The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Impress your guests with a stunning Squash and Caramelized Onion Tart this holiday season!
Featuring delicata and butternut squash, sweet potato and red onion layered on top of a cheesy garlic crust, this appetizer or side dish is a whimsical way to incorporate seasonal veggies into your festive menus!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 package premade pie dough
- 1 cup Heinen's shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup Heinen's grated 24-month aged Parmiginao Reggiano
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's Dijon mustard
- ½ delicata squash, seeded and thinly sliced
- ½ butternut squash, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- ½ sweet potato, seeded and thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Heinen's olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. Heinen's unsalted butter, melted
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Form the pie dough to a 9-inch or 10-inch shallow tart pan. Place in the freezer.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together the mozzarella, parmesan, thyme, garlic and mustard until combined.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly onto the bottom of the pie crust.
- Arrange the vegetables in concentric circles, with rounded edges facing up, starting from the outside edge. Lean the slices against the crust and work your way inward, alternating each ingredient.
- Drizzle the olive oil over top and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 80-90 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
- Brush the melted butter on top of the vegetables and garnish with option chopped fresh thyme. Slice and serve.