The following recipe and photography was provided courtesy of our vendor partner, Frieda’s Branded Produce.
Colorful is an understatement when it comes to describing this sweet potato pie!
Made with Stokes Purple® Sweet Potatoes, a unique non-GMO variety grown in California, these vibrant spuds are known for their bright purple flesh that is loaded with antioxidants.
Subtly sweet, they’re the perfect way to give this traditional fall dessert an eye-catching facelift!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Crust
- 1 9-inch frozen pre-made pie crust, thawed
For the Filling
- 2 large Stokes Purple® sweet potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped and baked*
- 3/4 cup Heinen's coconut milk
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen's butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Heinen's cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Heinen's allspice
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup +1 Tbsp. sugar
- Seeds from 3-inch piece vanilla bean or 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the Topping
- 1 cup Heinen's heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen's pure organic maple syrup
- Seeds from 1-inch piece vanilla bean or 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- Pecans, whole or crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the pie crust for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, blend the sweet potatoes, coconut milk, butter, egg, cinnamon, allspice, sea salt, sugar and vanilla until smooth. If too thick to blend, add 1-2 tsp. coconut milk.
- When the crust is done, increase the oven temperature to 425°F. Transfer the pie crust to wire rack and carefully pour in the filling. Smooth out the top with spatula. Put the pie back in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then, decrease the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for an additional 15 minutes. When done, the crust should be barely golden and the filling should look set. Remove the pie and allow to cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Cover and place in refrigerator to cool overnight.
- Chill the whisk and bowl from stand mixer (or a regular bowl and whisk) in the freezer for at least 10 minutes. Pour the heavy whipping cream, maple syrup, vanilla and salt into the chilled bowl and whip on high until peaks form, about a minute. It’s better to under-whip than over-whip! Store the whipped cream in refrigerator up to 4 hours.
- Before serving, allow the pie to come to room temperatu1re. Just before serving, whip the topping by hand to make it extra fluffy. Top the pie with the maple whipped cream and pecans. Slice and serve.
*Note: For extra-creamy sweet potatoes, wrap in foil and bake the night before making pie. Store in refrigerator, still wrapped in foil, and use in recipe as directed.