Few things are more refreshing in the summer than a chilly popsicle. There’s no need to wait for the ice cream truck to roll around when you can use in-season fresh fruit to create your own frozen treat in just a few simple steps!
Today, my daughter Mary Clare wanted to use strawberries and I’m so glad she did! They were ripe, sweet and delicious and the popsicles were easy for her to make, so don’t be afraid to get your kids involved.
- Total time:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Greek strawberry yogurt (full fat)
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. strawberry extract
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 10 popsicle sticks
- Add milk and heavy cream to a 2 cup measuring container.
- Spoon in strawberry yogurt until mixture reaches 2 cups.
- Add cornstarch and whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a small saucepan. Add honey, sugar and strawberry extract. Slowly bring mixture to a boil over medium-low heat. Whisk continuously.
- Once it begins to boil, continue whisking until it begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Fill popsicle molds loosely with fresh strawberries.
- Pour strawberry mixture over the top. Press down or stir gently in filled molds with a spoon or skewer to get rid of any air bubbles in between the strawberries. You can also slam the molds on the kitchen counter a few times. Add more strawberry mixture to each mold as necessary.
- Add popsicle sticks. Freeze overnight, remove from popsicle molds and serve.