The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Megan Weimer of Dollop of Dough.
Creamy, refreshing and so very colorful, this Strawberry Mousse is a must-make dessert during the spring and summer seasons!
The great thing about mousse is that it adapts to just about any flavor profile. From lemon and pistachio to chocolate and coffee, the options are truly only limited by your cravings. However, when strawberries come into season, they basically beg to be the star of this dessert. Their sweet and subtly tart flavor and vibrant red-pink color makes the resulting confection irresistible to the eye and palate.
While some recipes call for gelatin to help the mousse set, this one achieves the traditional silky-smooth texture without it; in fact, this recipe only calls for three ingredients: strawberries, sugar and heavy whipping cream, making it a great option for vegetarians.
Whipped together in a matter of minutes, grab a spoon and let’s make some mousse!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 Small Mousse Cups
For the Strawberry Mousse
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Heinen's heavy whipping cream, cold
- Sliced strawberries
- Chocolate sauce
- Whipped cream
- Puree the chopped strawberries and granulated sugar in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour the puree through a mesh sieve to remove any seeds, if desired. Reserve ½ cup of the strawberry mixture and set aside.
- Add the heavy cream to a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium-high speed with an electric mixer. After 3-4 minutes, the heavy cream will form soft peaks, which will then quickly turn to stiff peaks that hold their shape.
- Gently fold the strawberry puree (not the reserved 1/2 cup) into the whipped cream with a rubber spatula. Mix slowly and only until the puree is incorporated so the mousse does not deflate.
- Add 2 Tbsp. of the reserved strawberry puree to the bottom of 3-4 serving cups.
- Spoon the strawberry mousse on top. Place the cups in the refrigerator for no less than 1 hour or overnight to set.
- Once the mousse is set, top with sliced strawberries, chocolate sauce or whipped cream. Enjoy!