he following recipe and photography were provided by Food Scientist Kathleen Ann of Bread Over Heels.
Grab your friends, family or significant other and celebrate Valentine’s Day with these Strawberry Prosecco Cupcakes!
With prosecco baked into the batter and mixed into the strawberry buttercream frosting, this sweet treat proves that you can never have too much wine on Valentine’s Day, even if it’s not in the glass!
Strawberry Prosecco Cupcakes
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Cupcakes
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar, plus 2 Tbsp.
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup prosecco
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
For the Strawberry Filling
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled and diced
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. prosecco
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
For the Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 5 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 3 Tbsp. strawberry filling
- 6 fresh, small strawberries, hulled and halved, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin with baking cups.
- Stir the prosecco vigorously for 2-3 minutes to reduce the carbonation and eliminate the bubbles. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Add the butter, prosecco, vanilla, egg and egg yolk. Stir on low to combine, then increase the speed to high and mix for 1-2 minutes until creamy.
- Fill muffin tins about halfway with the batter. Tap the muffin tin several times on the counter to smooth the batter.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the filling in a small saucepan and bring to boil. Continue to cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Prepare the strawberry buttercream frosting. Combine the powdered sugar, butter and milk in stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until combined.
- Add 3 Tbsp. strawberry filling and mix for 1 minute on low to combine.
- Using a small spoon, scoop out the center of the cooled cupcakes in about a 1-inch diameter circle, leaving an edge on the sides of the cupcakes. Fill the centers with the remaining strawberry filling. Using a plastic bag fitted with a pastry tip, pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes. Place halved strawberry on top of the frosting.