The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Graham R. and his dog, Carl. For more of their delicious food ventures, visit them on Instagram @cookingwithcarrrl.
As a dad, I’m certified in approving Father’s Day gifts. Ties and mugs are great, but us dads want one thing: food! That’s right, the way to our hearts is through our bellies, so I made a Summer Herb Beer Bread! Dads love beer, it’s a law of the land. This recipe is as easy as they come and takes a few minutes to prepare. Pops will jump for joy and forget about all the times you held the flashlight wrong when he devours this delicious gift made with love.
Summer Wheat Citrus Ale from Sam Adams is the liquid courage of choice in this recipe! This summer ale has hints of lemon and orange – perfect flavors for summer. The citrus notes also pair well with Heinen’s dried thyme and rosemary. Heinen’s actually launched a line of 30 new spices and I couldn’t wait to use them! They have all the spices you could ever need, so be sure to upgrade that spice rack!
For an extra kick that will surely put a little more hair on Dad’s chest, I added Serrano and Fresno red peppers! Fresno peppers are mild compared to Serranoes and jalapeños and they have a slight smoky flavor. That’s what I love most about them, but the heat from the peppers cools when my sweet honey herb butter is smothered on top of this luscious loaf. The aroma that filled the kitchen when baking this bread was hypnotizing, I swear you can smell each ingredient!
Now let’s perfect that dad bod!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Beer Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s thyme
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Heinen’s organic honey
- 16 oz. your favorite citrus beer
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 Serrano or jalapeño peppers, sliced
- 2 Fresno peppers, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
For the Honey Herb Butter
- 4 Tbsp. Heinen's sweet cream butter
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen's organic honey
- 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Heinen’s dried thyme
- Prepare the Honey Herb Butter by mixing all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Transfer to a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log, place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the baking powder and spices. Mix well.
- Add the honey, then slowly pour in the beer. Mix until all of the flour is moist, do not over mix. Fold in the cheddar cheese and transfer the dough to a greased 9×5 bread pan.
- Place the pepper slices on top of the bread in any pattern you desire, such as stripes with alternating peppers after each row. Pour the melted butter overtop and place into the oven.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of bread comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- To serve, slice and serve warm with a bit of the honey herb butter.