Recipe and Photography provided by Heinen’s contributor, Courtney Holsworth of A Life From Scratch.
Today I have a beautiful Summer Strawberry cake to share with you! Berries are coming into season at Heinen’s and if you haven’t checked out Driscoll’s new Berry Big Strawberries, you simply must try them. They’re size and flavor are equally jumbo! They work deliciously into this tasty treat that is perfect for any summer celebration.
Summer Strawberry Cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour, we use gluten free
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 jumbo egg, room temp
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk, we used 2% but any works
- A few handfuls Driscoll’s Berry Big Strawberries, halved
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar for three minutes. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix until combined, scraping down the edges of the bowl if needed.
- Rotate adding in some of the milk, then dry ingredients, then milk, then dry – etc. Mix until just combined.
- Place batter in prepared cake pan, it will be thick! Smooth out the top. Half some fresh summer strawberries and place on top. Sprinkle with more sugar.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, then drop down to 325°F for another hour. Best served warm with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!