The following recipe and photography was provided courtesy of Allianna Moximchalk from Allianna’s Kitchen and was inspired by Heinen’s Chief Dietitian, Melanie Jatsek, RD,LD.
This superfood breakfast bowl is loaded with fiber and omega-3 fats and literally takes five minutes to make!
During my busy weeks, I prepare all of the dry ingredients beforehand and store them in a microwave-safe container. Then, when I’m hungry for breakfast, all I have to do is add the wet ingredients, microwave and finish with my favorite toppings.
What Is Flax Meal?
Flax meal is ground flax seeds. Flax seeds are high in fiber and omega-3 fats and are easier to digest when they are ground, which is why flax meal is such a great superfood! Flax can also help bind things together, making it a great egg replacement in some recipes.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Flax Meal
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed, the brand you use may alter the color of the final dish slightly
- 2 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 scoop Ancient Nutrition multi collagen protein or Ancient Nutrition plant protein+, optional but encouraged
- 6-8 oz. unsweetened vanilla almond milk, sub with water if desired
- Heinen's ground cinnamon, to taste
- ½ apple, diced
- A handful of berries
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp. Let’s Do Organic unsweetened coconut flakes
- Heinen's ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Navitas cacao nibs
- A small handful of nuts, walnuts, almonds, pecans or pumpkin seeds
- A drizzle of Heinen's raw honey or pure organic maple syrup
- Add the flax meal, chia seeds, protein powder (if using), cinnamon and almond milk to a bowl.
- Mix very well until combined.
- Microwave for 1½ minutes if using 6 oz. of liquid, or 2 minutes if using 8 oz.
- Stir and let sit for three minutes to thicken. The mixture will get thicker the longer it sits. If it gets too thick, add a bit more liquid and stir.
- Add desired toppings and enjoy!