The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Prep-ahead breakfasts truly simplify our busy morning routine. Whether I’m making a batch of egg muffins or portioning out overnight oats for the week ahead, I never regret taking the time to assemble some simple grab-and-go options for my family.
Stock your freezer with these Sweet Potato Black Bean Breakfast Burritos and you’re just three minutes away from a healthy and satisfying breakfast! This recipe comes together in about 30 minutes and makes 4 freezer burritos, though you can easily double the recipe.
Be sure to let the ingredients cool to room temperature before assembling the burritos. This will help to prevent soggy tortillas and freezer burn. Roll each burrito tightly in plastic wrap, then store in a zip-top freezer bag for up to 3 months.
In the morning, remove the burrito from the plastic wrap, cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until steaming. If we’re not taking burritos for the road, I like to serve them with salsa!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 Tbsp. Heinen’s olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato (about 12 oz.), diced
- 1 can Heinen’s organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. Heinen’s chili powder
- ½ tsp. Heinen’s ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. Heinen’s red chili flakes, optional
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 4 burrito-size tortillas
- ½ cup Heinen’s shredded 4 cheese Mexican blend
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- Salsa and/or sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced sweet potatoes. Sauté for 5 minutes, then cover and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes more, or until fork tender. Be sure to stir the sweet potatoes often to avoid burning.
- Add the black beans and seasonings, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a clean bowl and wipe out the pan. Set the pan over medium-low heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray and add the beaten eggs. Cook, stirring slowly with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, until the eggs are scrambled and just set. Season the eggs to taste with salt and pepper.
- Allow all ingredients to cool before assembling for freezing.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. This will make them easier to roll.
- Divide the sweet potato-black bean mixture between the 4 tortillas, followed by the scrambled eggs. Top each with 2 Tbsp. of cheese and sliced avocado.
- To roll, fold in the sides and roll up the tortillas tightly from the bottom to make a burrito. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then store in a zip-top freezer bag for up to 3 months. To reheat, remove the burrito from the plastic wrap and cover with a damp paper towel before microwaving for 2 -3 minutes, or until heated through and steaming. Serve with salsa and/or sour cream, if desired.