The following recipe and photography were provided by Food Scientist Kathleen Ann of Bread Over Heels.
Sweet potatoes are a favorite of mine at this time of year, and their range is unbeatable in the spud world- as evidenced by these Sweet Potato Pie Cupcakes!
These sweet treats are low in added sugar due to the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes, but don’t fret, they still have all the flavor of a classic sweet potato pie.
Using canned sweet potatoes makes the batter prep incredibly easy and the sugar content can be reduced even further by using Swerve sugar substitutes. This recipe is a real winner!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup canned sweet potato, drained and mashed
- ¼ cup brown sugar or Swerve brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar or Swerve granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour, preferably Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 tsp. Heinen's organic ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Heinen's organic ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. Heinen's organic ground nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
For the Frosting
- 1/3 cup Heinen's salted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar or Swerve confectioner’s sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp. milk
- Finely chopped pecans, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-count muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the canned sweet potato, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Add the eggs and canola oil. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to dry ingredients. Fold with a spatula just until no dry streaks remain.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the prepared cupcake tins. Bake for 18-20 minutes , or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature.
- For the frosting, combine the butter and powdered sugar in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed, or until combined. Slowly add the milk until your desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe the frosting on top of cupcakes and top with the finely chopped pecans.