Thick-Cut Pork Bacon BLT
- 1-pound thick-cut bacon
- 8 slices of toasted Texas toast
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 peeled thick-sliced yellow onion
- ½ cup of mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 3 whisk eggs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 thickly-sliced large green tomatoes
- 4 leaves of butterleaf lettuce
- Salt to taste
- Place the thick-cut bacon slices on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven at 425°F for 20-25 minutes, or until crispy and browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add some butter to a large sauté pan over medium heat and cook the onions until browned and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, chipotle pepper, parmesan cheese, basil, salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper until combined and set aside.
- Add some flour to a medium-size bowl, the whisk eggs to a separate medium-size bowl, and the cornmeal to another medium-size bowl. Season each with salt and pepper.
- Dredge a tomato slice in the flour, then the egg and finally the cornmeal. Set aside and repeat until all of the tomatoes have been breaded.
- Pour some cooking oil into a large frying pan over medium heat and heat until it reaches about 350°F.
- Add the breaded tomatoes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until browned on each side. Set aside.
- To plate up the BLT, place one piece of toasted Texas toast down and evenly layer on the butterleaf lettuce, bacon, caramelized onion, fried green tomatoes. Spread a layer of the pepper basil mayo on the other slice of toast and place on top. Repeat the process until all of the ingredients have been used.