Recipe and photography provided by Heinen’s partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Inspired by southern cooking, this reimagined BLT features thick-cut pork bacon, fried green tomatoes and a spicy chipotle mayo all sandwiched between crunchy Texas toast.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. thick-cut bacon
- 8 slices Texas toast, toasted
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and thick-sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely minced
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced thick
- 4 leaves butterleaf lettuce
- Salt, to taste
- Place the thick-cut bacon slices on a parchment-lined sheet tray and bake in the oven at 425°F for 20-25 minutes, or until crispy and browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add butter to a large sauté pan over medium heat and cook the onions until browned and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, chipotle pepper, parmesan cheese, basil, salt and 1 tsp. of pepper until combined. Set aside.
- Add some flour to a medium-size bowl. Add the whisked eggs to a separate medium-size bowl. Add the cornmeal to third medium-size bowl. Season each with salt and pepper.
- Dredge a tomato slice in the flour, then the egg and finally the cornmeal. Set aside and repeat until all of the tomatoes are breaded.
- Pour some cooking oil into a large frying pan over medium heat and heat until it reaches about 350°F.
- Add the breaded tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until browned. Set aside.
- To plate the BLT, evenly layer the butterleaf lettuce, bacon, caramelized onions and fried green tomatoes on a piece of toasted Texas toast. Spread a layer of the pepper basil mayo on another slice of toast and place on top. Repeat the process until all of the ingredients have been used.