The following recipe and photography is courtesy of Bread Over Heels, a food scientist and blogger. For more of her recipes and baking tips, visit her website or her Instagram @breadoverheels.
Layers of instant pistachio pudding, homemade white chocolate pudding and quick stovetop orange jam make for an inventive way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.
I come from a very Irish family on my Mom’s side, and my sister, who has her PhD in Irish studies, helped me come up with the concept for this dessert. The three layers represent a theme of triplicates, which are important in Ireland. The green base, white center, and orange topping represent the colors of the Irish flag, which itself is heavy in symbolism for unity and peace between religions. Celebrate this St. Patrick’s Day with this unique triple layered dessert!
For the Pistachio Pudding
- 1 package Jell-o instant pistachio pudding
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
For the White Chocolate Pudding
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup milk (2% or whole)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 ½ tsp. cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks, lightly whisked
- 3 oz. white chocolate
For the Orange Jam
- 4 oranges, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup, plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- Mint leaves
- Sliced oranges
- Additional chopped pistachios
- Prepare the orange jam. Combine oranges, sugar and cornstarch in a medium pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes or until liquid has substantially reduced and jam has thickened. Let cool for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the white chocolate pudding. Combine half and half, milk, sugar and cornstarch in a medium pot. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom or edges of the pot. Stir for an additional 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Lightly whisk the eggs and slowly pour a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs to temper. Pour warmed eggs back into the pot. Bring to a boil again, and stir for 2 minutes to thicken. Let cool in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Prepare pistachio pudding as directed on the back of the packaging. Stir in chopped pistachios.
- Layer in the glasses. Start with pistachio pudding on the bottom, followed by white chocolate pudding and orange jam. Top with additional chopped pistachios, sliced oranges and/or mint leaves to garnish. Serve chilled.