Even though the sun is setting earlier each day, a cookout that makes you feel like you’re in the Caribbean is still possible — and it starts with delicious shrimp skewers! These skewers are marinated in a sauce that only has easy-to-find household items in it, making it the perfect last-minute dinner when friends are coming over and microwave noodles just aren’t cutting it.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Smucker's® Sweet Orange Marmalade
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 8 12-inch wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 24 1-inch square pieces red pepper, (2 to 3 peppers)
- 24 1-inch square pieces of pineapple, fresh or frozen, thawed if frozen
- 24 1-inch square pieces green pepper, (2 to 3 peppers)
- 24 peeled, deveined raw shrimp, tail on (21 to 24 count per pound)
- Stir ketchup, soy sauce, orange marmalade, brown sugar, garlic, cinnamon, curry powder, cilantro and cayenne pepper to taste in a medium bowl until blended. Reserve 1/2 cup for dipping sauce.
- Heat oven broiler. Place oven rack 6-inches from heat. Coat broiler pan with no-stick cooking spray. Alternate pieces of red pepper, pineapple, green pepper and shrimp on a skewer, repeating 3 times. Place on prepared broiler pan.
- Broil skewers 3 minutes. Baste with sauce, turn, baste second side. Broil an additional 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp is cooked to 145°F, basting with sauce one more time. Heat reserved dipping sauce in microwave until warm. Serve shrimp skewers with sauce.