The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Kayla Breeden Falconer of Kayla’s Kitch and Fix.
Add exciting crunch to your next taco night with these fast and family friendly taquitos!
What is a taquito, you ask? It’s basically a rolled taco and, just like tacos, taquitos typically feature meat on the inside, but you can get just as much protein and flavor by stuffing each tortilla with a plant-based filling. That’s where the chickpeas come into play!
Blended smooth with enchilada sauce and rolled into gluten free tortillas, the flavorful chickpea filling is creamy in texture and zesty to taste!
Crisped in the oven and served alongside a simple and vibrant avocado dip, these tasty savory treats make a great 20 minute Mexican-inspired meal or party appetizer. You’ll never know they’re vegan!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 8 Taquitos
For the Chickpea Taquitos
- 1 can Heinen’s chickpeas
- 1/4 cup Siete enchilada sauce, green or red
- 8 Siete tortillas
- Heinen’s avocado oil or olive oil spray
For the Avocado Dip
- 1 large avocado
- 2 Tbsp. coconut milk
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Shredded lettuce
- Heinen’s salsa
- Coconut cream or Kite Hill dairy free sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- In a food processor, blend the chickpeas with the enchilada sauce until thoroughly combined. This can also be done in a bowl with a fork if you don’t have a food processor.
- Heat each tortilla on the stove for 10 seconds per side, or in the microwave for 15 seconds, to ensure they do not crack during the rolling process.
- Place approximately 2 Tbsp. of the chickpea mixture near one side of the tortilla, then roll to form the taquito.
- Place each taquito seam-side-down on a baking sheet.
- Spray the taquitos with avocado oil or olive oil spray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the taquitos are golden.
- While the taquitos cook, mix together the avocado dip ingredients until smooth.
- Serve warm with desired toppings and dips.
- To reheat leftovers, use an air fryer or conventional oven for maximum crispness.