The following recipe and photography were provided by Recipe Developer and Food Photographer, Kayla Breeden of Kayla’s Kitch and Fix.
Have you ever heard of a sunchoke? I’ll be honest, they were foreign to me until I stumbled across them in Heinen’s Produce Department. I quickly started researching what they were and found that they are actually nutritionally rich and, as you will see from this recipe, extremely delicious!
Tender and creamy in texture, sunchokes, otherwise known as Jerusalem artichokes, taste like a cross between an artichoke and potato – two of my favorite foods! They are the root portion of a sunflower plant and look similar to ginger root. Although they might not be as pretty as a sunflower on the outside, the flavor and nutritional benefits they offer are beautiful, especially if you’re looking to improve your gut health!
A great source of dietary fiber and prebiotics, eating sunchokes actually helps feed the probiotics in your body, which inevitably helps maintain the healthy bacteria you need for a balanced digestive system.
If you’re interested in trying sunchokes, I highly suggest giving this recipe a try! It’s quick and easy to make and tastes a little like potato salad!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 lb. sunchokes
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, separated
- 2 tsp. dried or fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp. died or fresh chives
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop the sunchokes into slices/rounds and place them on the baking sheet.
- Drizzle a Tbsp. of the olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper onto the sunchokes and toss until they are evenly coated.
- Spread the rounds on the baking sheet so that they are not overlapping.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden.
- Combine the remaining olive oil, dill, chives, Dijon, lemon, garlic, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Once the sunchokes are golden, transfer them to a serving bowl. Add the dressing and gently stir until evenly coated.
- Serve and enjoy immediately!