The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Kayla Breeden of Kayla’s Kitch and Fix.
Don’t be intimidated by the deep green color of this soup – it’s actually incredibly delicious and nutritious, and a meal I think your family will love, including picky eaters.
Powered by nutrient-dense green veggies, which on their own can be a bit boring, you’ll be happily surprised to taste that this soup is actually rich, creamy and anything but bland!
If you’re in need of a mealtime detox, or simply want to “up” your greens intake, this simple vegan and paleo-friendly recipe is sure to satisfy your hunger and fuel your body, spoonful after spoonful!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 4 cups Heinen’s vegetable broth
- 2 heaping cups broccoli florets
- 1 zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh spinach, packed
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- In a pot over medium heat, sauté the sliced onion and garlic in olive oil or avocado oil until fragrant.
- Add the broccoli florets, zucchini rounds and vegetable broth to the pot. Simmer, covered, until the broccoli is soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the spinach, peas, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. Stir, then simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all of the contents to a blender (you may need to do this in two batches) and blend until smooth. An immersion blender can also be used.
- Add the soup back to the pot and stir in the coconut milk.
- Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk, salt, pepper and fresh herbs, if desired.