The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Kayla Breeden of Kayla’s Kitch and Fix.
If you’re like me, you dream about a big Thanksgiving feast all year long! From the turkey, stuffing and green beans, all the way down to the post-meal pies, there’s nothing not to love about Turkey Day!
Well, no one loves the feeling of being over-stuffed on food made from not-so-good ingredients. That’s why I created this Vegan Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower.
Made from two heads of cauliflower, vegan butter, coconut milk and nutritional yeast, this simple side dish has all the flavor and texture of traditional mashed potatoes and packs a healthy punch!
Add this side dish to your Thanksgiving table and even mashed potato purists will be thankful for a second helping!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2 small heads cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. Miyoko’s vegan butter, separated
- ½-¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and spread them out on a baking sheet.
- Slice off the top end of the garlic bulb and place the entire bulb on the baking sheet with the cauliflower.
- Coat the cauliflower and garlic bulb in the olive oil. Use your hands to ensure everything is coated. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over the top.
- Roast the cauliflower and garlic for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are brown, but not burned.
- Transfer the cauliflower and garlic into a high-powered blender or food processor (depending on the size, you made need to do this in two batches).
- Add 3 Tbsp. of melted butter (microwave for about 10 seconds), ½ cup coconut milk, ¼ cup nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and blend until smooth. If you did this step in batches, add the rest of the cauliflower and an additional ¼ cup of coconut milk.
- Taste the cauliflower and add more salt, pepper, milk, etc. based on your taste preferences and desired consistency.
- Add the mashed cauliflower to a bowl and top with an additional ¼ Tbsp. of melted butter, finely chopped chives and salt and pepper.