The following recipe, video and photography were provided by our partner, Chef Billy Parisi.
Who knew that a meatless dish could be so rich and flavorful?
When it comes to enhancing the flavor of a meal, nothing compares to curry. Best described as an Indian-style gravy or sauce, it’s full of intense, warm spices and pairs well with anything from meat to tofu and vegetables.
This recipe calls for tofu, which, on its own is relatively tasteless, but when pan-seared, tossed with vegetables and coated in a homemade curry sauce made from curry paste, roasted garlic, ginger, coconut cream and soy sauce, it’s undeniably delicious!
Served over fluffy jasmine rice, this dish is bound to make a weekly occurrence on your dinner menu!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Rice
- 1 ½ cups Heinen's jasmine rice
- 3 cups water
For the Curry Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- ¼ cup red curry paste
- 2 15 oz. cans Heinen’s full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Heinen’s tomato paste
For the Vegetables
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ head trimmed cauliflower, cut into bitesize pieces
- 2 cups baby Yukon potatoes, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup tri-colored baby bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup fresh green onions, sliced
- 1 cup almonds, sliced
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions. Fluff with a fork, add a lid to the pot and keep warm off to the side.
- Make the sauce. Add the oil to a medium-sized saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste, coconut milk and soy sauce. Whisk until combined over medium-low heat.
- Thicken by whisking in some tomato paste. Keep warm.
- Cook the vegetables. Add 2 Tbsp. of sesame oil to a large non-stick sauté pan over high heat. Add the diced tofu and sear for 2-3 minutes per side, or until browned on all sides. Set aside. Feel free to season with salt.
- Add the cauliflower and potatoes to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the carrots and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add the peppers and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Strain the vegetables and toss in a pan or bowl with the coconut curry sauce and cooked tofu. Keep warm.
- To plate, place some of the cooked jasmine rice in a bowl and top with some of the curried vegetables and tofu and garnish with sliced cabbage, green onions and almonds.