- Total time:
This recipe and photography were provided by our friends at Melissa’s Produce.
The beginning of February marks the start of Chinese New Year. To honor this occasion, we are whipping up one of our favorite Asian-inspired dishes: Vegetable Egg Rolls filled with cabbage, carrots, onion and mushrooms and seasoned with garlic, ginger and classic soy sauce!
Vegetable Egg Rolls
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil, plus oil for frying
- 1 thumb ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 oz. Shelled Edamame (1 cup)
- 1/2 head Napa Cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup sliced onion
- 1 pack dried wood ear or shiitake mushrooms, re-hydrated and chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- 15 egg roll wrappers
- Heat a wok or frying pan over high heat until hot.
- Add oil, swirling to coat sides.
- Add the ginger, garlic and vegetables, tossing to distribute.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, until diminished in volume by about a third.
- Add the soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar, if using, and continue cooking another minute.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
To Fill the Rolls
- Place wrapper on a clean flat surface in front of you so that it looks like a diamond.
- Place 1 1/2 tablespoons filling in center of wrapper. Fold bottom point up over filling and roll once.
- Fold in right and le points. Continue rolling until you have a tight cylinder.
- Place filled rolls on a baking sheet and cover with a damp cloth while filling remaining rolls.
- For instructions on how to fry, see Won Tons.
- Serve with sweet and sour sauce, plum sauce, hot mustard or jalapeño pepper jelly.