The following recipe and photography were provided courtesy of Julia of A Cedar Spoon.
Falafel Waffles are the perfect Mediterranean breakfast to start your day!
Many of the traditional ingredients you find in a waffle are added to chickpeas, parsley, garlic and warm spices to create the perfect falafel-style waffle.
Top it with a fresh Lebanese-style salad and a tahini sauce for a new spin on your favorite morning meal.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Falafel Waffles
- 1 15 oz. can Heinen's chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Lebanese Salad Topping
- 2 medium tomatoes, about 1 cup diced
- 1/4 English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 tsp. olive oil
For the Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Combine the chickpeas, onion, cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, all-purpose flour, fresh parsley, baking powder, garlic cloves, egg whites and olive oil in a food processor or blender.
- Spray a waffle iron with non-stick spray. Preheat the waffle iron. Fill the waffle iron about 3/4 of the way full with the batter and close the lid.
- Cook until the falafel is golden brown and firm in the center, about 7-9 minutes.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the salad in a medium-size bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl or a mason jar, combine all of the tahini sauce ingredients and stir well. Add more water for a thinner consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve the waffles with the Lebanese salad and tahini sauce.