The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Kayla Breeden of Kayla’s Kitch and Fix.
Sometimes all it takes is a few simple ingredients and a little creativity to bring new life to a classic recipe. This Watermelon Caprese Salad is exhibit A.
I love the balance of flavors and textures in a traditional caprese, but with a plentiful assortment of Midwest Grown produce available at Heinen’s, I decided to switch things up by swapping red tomatoes for a green heirloom variety and adding watermelon slices for a refreshing, juicy crunch.
Topped with a simple homemade honey balsamic, you might just enjoy this new caprese concoction more than the original!
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Salad
- Green tomatoes (can be heirloom, if available)
For the Honey Balsamic
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Simmer the balsamic and honey over medium heat on the stove until bubbling.
- Once bubbling, turn the heat down to medium-low and let reduce for 5-10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Slice the watermelon, green tomatoes and mozzarella and arrange in an alternating pattern on a serving platter.
- Drizzle with the cooled honey balsamic and top with olive oil, sea salt and basil.