The following recipe and photography were provided by our partner, Kayla Breeden Falconer of Kayla’s Kitch and Fix.
Do you like pina coladas? Me too, but they’re loaded with sugar and, even after just one, leave many of us feeling sluggish and hungover.
Since the season for frozen drinks is upon us, I’ve mixed up a colorful concoction that tastes just as good as your favorite frozen adult beverage and leaves you feeling good. You and your gut are going to love it!
Blended smooth with chilled watermelon, probiotic-packed kombucha, sparkling water and lime juice, this tropical-tasting mocktail has way less sugar than traditional frozen cocktails and even offers a few gut boosting benefits from the kombucha! It’s super easy to make, too, so you can enjoy one any time the craving strikes!
Now, I call this drink a mocktail because liquor is not on the ingredient list; however, it is important to note that because kombucha is fermented, it has a very low alcohol content, generally around 0.05% ABV. So, if you want to make this drink totally alcohol-free, simply swap the kombucha for a prebiotic soda, which can be found in the refrigerated case of Heinen’s Wellness Department.
Let’s keep cool and carry on this summer with better-for-you beverages!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 cups cubed watermelon, chilled or frozen
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup watermelon flavored kombucha, frozen into ice cubes (sub with prebiotic soda for alcohol free)
- 1/4-1/2 cup Heinen’s lime sparkling water
- Fresh mint, for garnish
- Watermelon slices, for garnish
- Pour the watermelon kombucha or prebiotic soda into 5-6 slots of a clean ice cube tray. Freeze until frozen, or overnight.
- Once the ice cubes are frozen, add the cold, cubed watermelon (the colder the better), lime juice, kombucha cubes and lime sparkling water to a blender. Blend until combined. Add more or less sparkling water to create your desired consistency.
- Pour into two glasses and garnish with mini watermelon slices and fresh mint. Cheers!