The following recipe and photography was provided by recipe developer and food photographer, Ashley Durand of Plate & Pen.
My husband and I have been working from home long before it became common and our daily lunch routine always involves a salad of some sort. It has certainly saved us money, but at the same time, it can get old pretty fast, especially when you’re looking to serve a healthy side salad with dinner, too! Talk about salad overload.
To create some variety, I made a new salad with one of the most beautiful veggies in Heinen’s Produce Department: watermelon radishes. Sweeter than a traditional radish with a vibrant fuchsia flesh and green exterior, they are the perfect compliment to a refreshing mixture of cucumbers, tomatoes, parmesan flakes and a bright, homemade lemon tahini vinaigrette.
If you’re looking to bring new life to salads, grab a few seasonal watermelon radishes and let’s get cooking!
- Prep time:
- Total time:
For the Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 3 Tbsp. tahini
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 cup olive oil
For the Salad
- 1 head romaine
- 1 head radicchio lettuce
- 3-4 watermelon radishes, peeled, halved and sliced thin
- 1 cup mini tomatoes on-the-vine
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled. halved vertically and chopped
- 1/2 cup thick parmesan flakes
- Add all of the dressing ingredients, except for the olive oil, to a medium-size bowl. Use a whisk to mix, then slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Whisk until emulsified. Pour the dressing into a lidded jar, shake and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add all of the salad ingredients to a large serving bowl and toss with the dressing.
- Top with more parmesan, if desired, and serve.