The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
As summer winds down and the weather begins to turn, I’m always beyond ready to break out my Dutch oven to cook some of our favorite hearty dinners, like big pots of comforting chilies, soups and stews.
This White Bean Chicken Chili has been my go-to for “white chili” (aka chili made without the traditional tomatoes or chili powder) for many years. Don’t be intimidated by the length of the ingredient list! This recipe calls primarily for pantry staples, plus a few fresh ingredients, like Heinen’s CARE Certified boneless skinless chicken breasts from Gerber’s. Requiring about 40 minutes from start to finish, it’s the perfect weeknight meal for cooler evenings.
- Cook time:
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil or light olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. CARE certified Gerber’s boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded, ribs removed and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 32 oz. box Heinen’s low sodium chicken stock
- 3 15 oz. cans Heinen’s organic cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can refried beans
- ½ cup salsa verde
- 2 cups Heinen’s frozen super sweet white corn
- Juice of 1 lime, or to taste
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped avocado
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining Tbsp. of oil to the pan followed by the onion, bell pepper and jalapeno. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and spices. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the chicken stock and use a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beans and refried beans. Stir well until smooth and bring to a simmer.
- Add the salsa verde, corn and cooked chicken. Return to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve topped with plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, shredded cheese, sliced green onions and chopped avocado.