The following recipe and photography were provided by local blogger Carolyn Hodges of The Dinner Shift.
Nothing says winter in the Midwest like an abundance of in-season citrus! Be sure to check out Heinen’s Produce Department for a large selection of citrus fruit, including blood oranges, Cara Cara oranges, tangerines and pummelos. They’re the sweetest, most flavorful citrus you’ll find anywhere.
This salad features a number of those sweet and juicy citrus fruits and is dressed with a vinaigrette made with Heinen’s fresh squeezed orange juice.
The brightness of Cara Cara and blood oranges pair so well with the richness of avocado and Heinen’s Bulgarian sheep’s milk feta. Packed with vitamin C, beta carotene and monounsaturated fats, it’s wonderful to enjoy in the cold weather months to support immune health and fight inflammation.
- Prep time:
- Total time:
- 4 large salads or 8 side salads
For the Salad
- 2 packages Great Lakes Growers Lake Erie Crunch, chopped
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 mini cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 Cara Cara oranges, peeled and cut crosswise into coins or moons
- 2 blood oranges, peeled and cut crosswise into coins or moons
- 1 naval orange, peeled and cut crosswise into coins or moons
- 4 oz. Heinen’s Bulgarian sheep's milk feta, crumbled
For the Fresh Squeezed Vinaigrette
- ⅓ cup Heinen’s fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅓ cup Heinen’s avocado oil
- In a very large bowl, gently toss the lettuce, red onion, cucumbers, avocado, oranges and feta.
- Add all of the vinaigrette ingredients to a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake until well-combined.
- Dress the salad and serve immediately.